(03) 9720 2922

Jansen Walsh & Grace


Aged care accommodation is becoming increasingly common.  We can advise you on the contract and, in particular, on the transition from retirement village to aged care accommodation or where you are selling your house and moving into aged care accommodation.

There are different types of aged care accommodation.  Because of the low entry requirements and the fact that operators receive a residential aged care subsidy from the Commonwealth, there has been a massive surge of investors, including foreign investors, who, for a fairly modest investment, construct aged care facilities or purchase existing run-down aged care facilities, which they see as an endless river of gold.  Although they receive Commonwealth residential aged care subsidy for each resident in addition to any accommodation bond payable by the resident, many operators cut costs by providing residents with very cheap food with little variety and nutrition, and low care by employing minimal staff.  So, you must do your homework carefully before you move in or, if you are a son or daughter, before you place your parent in aged care accommodation.  Not all are the same.  You should visit different facilities so that you can compare them. 

This was brutally revealed during this current Stage 4 Lock-down.

Elder abuse has been in the news recently.  The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety was established on 8 October 2018 by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd).  The Commissioners are required to provide an interim report by 31 October 2019, and a final report by 30 April 2020.  In our experience, elder abuse rarely occurs in the better aged accommodation facilities.  In addition, it occurs less frequently where the children visit the resident frequently.

Death of your parent

If an accommodation bond has been paid and your parent has subsequently died, the operator will rarely refund the accommodation bond without the executors of your parent's will obtaining a grant of probate, or, if there is no will, the administrators of your parent's estate obtaining letters of administration


Our fee
Our fee is $395 plus GST.  We believe that this is the cheapest price in Victoria.